Sunday, May 15, 2011

Ergonomics part 2

  In the second session we talked about ergonomics. We measured different chairs at school and each of us found the chair that best fits our body. Related to our body style we selected different chairs.
  Also there were some things in common; we all agreed that chairs in the Hub are not comfortable because of their material and shapes. The Hub in the school is considered to be a place for gathering, but it does not have the required elements. Using metal, which is always cold and unergonomic design makes us  escape from the place.


                                        Fig 1. Non-ergonomic airplane seat

  In addition we talked about airplane design. I myself always have a problem with the seats in airplanes especially when you have a long flight it becomes really unbearable. My problem is that headrest of air plain's chair are so high, I always feel that these are not designed for me. I could never reach the headrest; I get neck aches and backaches after all flights.
 As people have different heights why they do not make it adjustable? I always wonder what is the measurement tool for designing this public furniture? I am not very small, I think I must be included in the average chart that designers always use for measurements, but it still does not fit my body.
  Also, the only adjustment is bending the backrest that does not seem standard. If a person who sit in the back seat be very tall, it will be annoying for him to sit when the front chair is bended.
  Improving the airplane’s interior can be very satisfying for all people around the world as it is one of the important means of transportation nowadays.


                                     Fig 2. Non-ergonomic airplane seat



References

Fig 1. Retrieved from http://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-amp-space
/article/2009-04/why-are-airplane-seats-so-miserable-and-what-can-be-done-about-it

No comments:

Post a Comment